Inserting a Chapter Name and Number in a Header or a Footer
Before you can insert chapter information into a header or footer, you must first set the outline numbering options for the paragraph style that you want to use for chapter titles.
To Create a Paragraph Style for Chapter Titles
- Choose Tools - Outline Numbering.
- In the Style box, select the paragraph style that you want to use for chapter titles, for example, "Heading 1".
- Select the numbering style for the chapter titles in the Number box, for example, "1,2,3...".
- Type "Chapter" followed by a space in the Before box.
- Enter a space in the After box.
- Click OK.
- Apply the paragraph style that you defined for chapter titles to the chapter headings in your document.
- Choose Insert - Header and Footer - Header or Insert - Header and Footer - Footer, and then select the page style for the current page from the submenu.
- Click in the header or footer.
- Choose Insert - Field - More Fields and click the Document tab.
- Click "Chapter" in the Type list and "Chapter number and name" in the Format list.
- Click Insert and then click Close.
The header on every page that uses the current page style automatically displays the chapter name and number.