Creating a Table of Contents
The best way to generate a table of contents is to apply the predefined heading paragraph styles, such as "Heading 1", to the paragraphs that you want to include in your table of contents. After you apply these styles, you can then create a table of contents.
To Insert a Table of Contents
- Click in your document where you want to create the table of contents.
- Choose Insert - Indexes and Tables - Indexes and Tables, and then click the Index/Table tab.
- Select "Table of Contents" in the Type box.
- Select any options that you want.
- Click OK.
If you want to use a different paragraph style as a table of contents entry, select the Additional Styles check box in the Create from area, and then click the (...) button next to the check box. In the Assign Styles dialog, click the style in the list, and then click the >> or the << button to define the outline level for the paragraph style.
To Update a Table of Contents
Do one of the following:
- Right-click in the table of contents and choose Update Index/Table.
- Choose Tools - Update - All Indexes and Tables.