During consolidation, the contents of the cells from several sheets will be combined in one place.
To Combine Cell Contents
- Open the document that contains the cell ranges to be consolidated.
- Choose Data - Consolidate to open the Consolidate dialog.
- From the Source data area box select a source cell range to consolidate with other areas.
If the range is not named, click in the field next to the Source data area. A blinking text cursor appears. Type a reference for the first source data range or select the range with the mouse.
- Click Add to insert the selected range in the Consolidation areas field.
- Select additional ranges and click Add after each selection.
- Specify where you want to display the result by selecting a target range from the Copy results to box.
If the target range is not named, click in the field next to Copy results to and enter the reference of the target range. Alternatively, you can select the range using the mouse or position the cursor in the top left cell of the target range.
- Select a function from the Function box. The function specifies how the values of the consolidation ranges are linked. The "Sum" function is the default setting.
- Click OK to consolidate the ranges.
Click More in the Consolidate dialog to display additional settings:
- Select Link to source data to insert the formulas that generate the results in the target range, rather than the actual results. If you link the data, any values modified in the source range are automatically updated in the target range.
The corresponding cell references in the target range are inserted in consecutive rows, which are automatically ordered and then hidden from view. Only the final result, based on the selected function, is displayed.
- Under Consolidate by, select either Row labels or Column labels if the cells of the source data range are not to be consolidated corresponding to the identical position of the cell in the range, but instead according to a matching row label or column label.
To consolidate by row labels or column labels, the label must be contained in the selected source ranges.
The text in the labels must be identical, so that rows or columns can be accurately matched. If the row or column label does not match any that exist in the target range, it will be appended as a new row or column.
The data from the consolidation ranges and target range will be saved when you save the document. If you later open a document in which consolidation has been defined, this data will again be available.